What is Azure AD and Benefits of Azure Active Directory
Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) is Microsoft’s multi-tenant, cloud-based directory, and identity management service. Azure AD incorporates core directory services, application access management, and identity protection in a single solution, offering a standards-based platform which enables developers to deliver access control to their apps, based on centralized policy and rules.
Benefits of Azure Azure Active Director AD
Azure AD helps you to:
- Create and manage a single identity for each user across your entire enterprise, keeping users, groups, and devices in sync with Azure AD Connect.
- Provide single sign-on access to your apps, including thousands of pre-integrated SaaS apps, and to provide more secure remote access to on-premises SaaS applications using the Azure AD Application Proxy.
- Allow application access security by enforcing rules-based Multi-Factor Authentication policies for both on-premises and cloud apps.
- Improve user productivity with self-service password reset, and group and application access requests using the MyApps portal.
- Take advantage of the high-availability and reliability of a worldwide, enterprise-grade, cloud-based identity and access management solution.
Who uses Azure AD
An Azure AD is intended for IT admins, app developers, and for users of Office 365, Azure, or Dynamics CRM Online.
- IT admins. The Azure AD provides a more secure solution for your organization through the use of stronger identity management and single sign-on (SSO) access to thousands of cloud-based SaaS apps and on-premises apps. Through these apps, you’ll also get cloud-based app security, seamless access, enhanced collaboration, and automation of the identity lifecycle for your users, helping to increase both security and compliance. Additionally, with Azure AD Connect, you can integrate Azure AD with an existing Windows Server Active Directory, letting your organization use your existing on-premises identity investments to manage cloud-based SaaS app access.
- For app developers. Azure AD helps you focus on building your apps by providing integration with an identity management solution that’s used by millions of organizations around the world.
- For Office 365, Azure, or Dynamics CRM Online customers. You’re already using Azure AD. Each Office 365, Azure, and Dynamics CRM Online tenant is actually an Azure AD tenant, letting you immediately start to manage your user-access to your integrated cloud apps.